Tuesday 26 October 2010

Arvey's Award Winning Cogs

A while ago I was thinking
God I'd better get a job
And I did
And they gave me £4.80
An hour
For dishpiggery and starving myself
In a kitchen.
Eight out of seventeen pounds that night
would go
on the taxi ride home.
So I left that one
And money came anyway
And the winter was measured
In Irish stews and warm house.

It's a year later
And I've blown all of the cash
I made
And applied again.
We've won a lot of awards you know.
What can you bring to this business?

I saw my boss in premier
So when you coming to work for us?
You said you'd call.
Come over tomorrow.
Sometimes I
Just feel like calling him
Up and saying
I'm not a cog Arvey
I'm not a cog
I'm a wheel.

Do you have those skills?
What do you lack?

And it doesn't matter because
The winters these days
Are measured
In new belt holes
in leather.

No comments:

Post a Comment